Hiking and Bird Watching purchase includes
• Museum, guided tour, visit the endemic bird watching platform and F&B
• LOCATION: South-West of the island, Chamarel
• Itinerary: Meet at the Ebony Forest Reception( Service Provider details will be on your receipt)
• Operating Days: Every day
Suitable for: all ages, families, groups, and couples. As Ebony Forest is located on a mountain slope, access by push- or wheel-chair to the raised walkway and hiking trails is limited. The Visitor Centre is accessible to the wheel- and push-chair users. If you need assistance, please contact us for advice.
Group size: minimum 4 adults. If you are a large group wishing to do a Bird watching Tour, we may divide the group into smaller groups to ensure a better experience and chance of seeing the birds.
The hikes are graded easy, based on international standards. The Flycatcher raised walkway is more than 4m in height so if you suffer from vertigo, please inform our staff in advance. There are 113 steps up and 142 down on the walkway, but you will hardly notice these on your guided tour.
Food and drink: as part of the Bird Watching Tour, you will be offered one drink (lemon grass juice, tamarind juice, soft drink) and a selection of vegetarian snacks at Sublime Point. Picnics are not allowed as we wish to limit the amount of rubbish generated. As part of our commitment to the environment, we do not sell drinks in plastic bottles, but you can fill up your water bottle for free from our water fountain in our Shop.
2 – 4 hours, depending on your schedule. After your tour, you are welcome to continue exploring the site, Visitor Centre, or simply to go and look for more birds. Our Bird Watching Tours generally start at 9 am to increase the chances of spotting the birds.
Food and drink:
Picnics are not allowed as we wish to limit the amount of potential rubbish. Snacks can be bought at Sublime Point and in our Shop. As part of our commitment to protecting the environment, we do not sell drinks in plastic bottles, but you can fill up your water bottle for free from our water fountain in our Shop.
Hiking and Bird Watching Conditions:
• Validity: The voucher is valid for 60 days from date of purchase
• Activities are still carried out under rain unless the safety is compromised & itinerary may change due to weather conditions.
How to make a reservation for Hiking and Bird Watching:
Once payment is completed, the Customer will receive a Payment Confirmation by email
Customer must call Service Provider to make a reservation (Phone number on Payment Confirmation)
Your reservation is not finalized until payment is complete and your date and time slot are confirmed directly with Service Provider
Reservation date and time is subject to availability and request should be made at least 48 hours in advance
The Service Provider reserves the right to refuse to carry out the activity to any guest if any medical problems are present
• Lateness: For late arrivals, the Service Provider may reduce their activity time (if applicable) or could apply a 100% cancellation fee
• Amendments: Once you have confirmed a date and time with Activity and/or Service, any amendments will need to be confirmed between yourself and the Service Provider directly
• No Show: If the above Amendment Policy is not followed and if the customer does not show up for the reservation, a 100% Cancellation Fee will apply
• Prices are the same for both Mauritians and Tourists. Adult Prices from 18 years old; Children rates are 5-17 years old.
• All Prices displayed on EcoMauritius.mu are inclusive of all taxes and service fees
• Booking invoice Receipt must be produced to the Service Provider before activity
• Private visit to the bird release aviaries to see the rare Pink Pigeon and Echo Parakeet fed in the wild
• Tour with our experienced and passionate bird conservationists
Spot the Pink Pigeon, Echo Parakeet, Mauritius Paradise Flycatcher, Mauritius Black Bulbul, Mauritius Kestrel, and Grey-white eye
• Enjoy a selection of local drinks and Mauritian snacks at the breath-taking Sublime Point
• Access to self-guided hiking trails
• Film in English (6 mins) or French (8 mins) about the island’s wildlife
• Option to further contribute to saving endangered species and carbon offsetting
• Raised walkway to the spectacular Sublime Point
• Museum about the island’s natural history written by bird expert Dr. Julian Hume
We recommend that you should bring: sports shoes, sunscreen, a reusable bottle of water, and mosquito repellant.
Learn more about the top health benefits of hiking and spending time around nature. You can find more about our activities HERE.