1. Essential oils discourage fleas, ticks and other minute parasites. Add 1 drop of either lemongrass or citronella oil to the shampoo. Large dogs, like Great Danes, will require 2 drops. Most dogs like the aroma, and it gives them a nice, fresh smell.
2. To disinfect the dog’s coat, take an old steel brush and piece of material, the same size as the face of the brush. The material needs to be quite thick so a single piece of flannel or sheeting folded three or four times will do. Pull the material down over the teeth of the brush. Prepare a bowl of warm water, mix in 4 drops of cedarwood or pine oil and soak the prepare brush in this, before brushing your dog’s coat. This treatment will also collect the parasites and eggs in the brush – which must be rinsed out thoroughly several times during the brushing, in the bowl of essential oil water.
3. For a cut or graze, bathe the area in a solution of thyme or lavender oil. Using 6 drops of either of these essential oils to half a washing up bowl of water. The oils will help clean the wound as they are natural antibiotics and disinfectants. If the dog licks the wound, he won’t be taking in any unnatural substances. Keep attending to the wound as it is difficult to confine the dog to bed until healing is complete.
4. Treat the area where the dog sleeps to get rid of bacteria and viruses. Blankets can be washed with 5 drops of eucalyptus and lavender essential oils. To wash sleeping area, add 6 drops of essential oil to half a bucket of warm water. You can also mix 6 drops of eucalyptus and lavender oil to 600ml water, put in a plant spray bottle and spray around the sleeping area.
5. Make dogs toothpaste and breath deodorizer by mixing 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 1 drop of clove and 1 drop of aniseed essential oils. Use cotton wool or a special pet toothbrush rather than a human’s toothbrush to avoid damaging he gums. Dampen the cotton wool, dip into the mixture and use on the teeth. Afterwards give the dog a drink of water.
6. Make a natural flea collar or your dog or cat. Buy a soft material collar, soak it in the following mixture: 1/2 teaspoon alcohol, 1 drop cedarwood, 1 drop lavender, 1 drop citronella, 1 drop of thyme, mix with 4 garlic capsules.
7. When bathing your dog, put an old tea strainer in your sink to avoid it from clogging with fur.
8. Save the water from cooked vegetables to add extra flavour and vitamins to your pet’s dry food.
9. Wipe oil of cloves of furniture legs to prevent a new puppy from chewing on them. Dogs dislike the smell and bitter taste.
10. To calm a new puppy, fill a little pillow with dry chamomile flowers and leaves. Put it in to your pet’s bed, and this will soothe your pet and repel fleas.